Thursday, October 15, 2009

dogs versus cell phones

What is more important to people, items that you can put a price on or moments that you will remember forever? I'm not sure that I can answer that question; in fact I don’t think that there is anyone who can. The reason for this is because that different people each value a different thing. There is nothing wrong with that, people aren’t supposed to all have the same opinion. Hopefully this essay will help me decide what is more important to me.
I was eating my breakfast my family started to notice that I was awake. Immediately I was greeted with a good morning and a happy birthday. Personally I feel that wishing everybody a happy birthday is completely over rated; nobody cares about any of that, all that they need is the presents.
So it is no surprise that the second I finished my meal I asked my parents if I could open my presents. Luckily my birthday happened to fall on a Sunday that year so I was allowed to open my presents in the morning. So I unwrapped the present that I thought resembled the item I was looking for the most; I guessed right. I already knew that I was getting a phone but that didn’t take away from the excitement that I finally could use it.
Once I opened all of my other presents I began calling all of my friends and told them that I finally got my phone. My phone also had unlimited texting so it wasn’t long before I pathetically attempted to send my first text message. Although the message I sent wasn’t very long it still took me a good five minutes before I was able to get it right. After my texting skills improved a bit I began to enjoy texting everywhere I went I kept that phone with me. All the while I was exchanging messages with my friends. Even when I went out to dinner I was texting under the table. That is until my parents caught me and took my phone away from me until we left the restaurant.
My phone is an LGVX8350. It is dark blue. It is not a very good phone but it is my phone. Since I got my phone I have broken it six times. I am not going to blame it all on the phone though; I admit that a few of those breaks were my fault. I can’t really complain, At least I have a phone.

My family has been looking at different Breeds of dogs for a while now. And I think that we finally have found the right one. We went to see a litter of golden retriever puppies and there was nothing like it. They were the cutest dogs that I have ever seen. I also think that we have picked out the right dog. His name is Bailey; he was by far the biggest dog in the litter. He ways over four pounds more than the second heaviest puppy and today we get to take him home with us.
Our day started early since we had to leave our house by eight o clock in order to get to the breeders house. Naturally I didn’t mind since we were going to pick up our new puppy. The breeder lived in Monson so it was around a 40 minute drive to get there. But when we finally arrived we were greeted by an extremely cute golden retriever puppy. So after my parents chatted with the breeder for a bit we were ready to bring our puppy home.
Almost the second we started driving the poor dog started throwing up in the car. The day was off to a rough start but luckily it began to get better fast. Once we got home we brought the dog into the back yard. There we started playing with him for a while. After that we brought Bailey around the neighborhood to meet all of the neighbors. They all loved him; at the houses that already had dogs you could see the dogs getting jealous of how much attention my dog was getting.
Unfortunately I had to go to my friend’s birthday party that day so I went I few hours without seeing my new dog. Luckily the party didn’t last very long and before I knew it I was back with my puppy. It didn’t take long to notice that my dog ate a ton. He finished his dinner in around ten minutes and for the rest of the night he kept checking his dog bowl to see if anybody put some more food into it. Eventually I had to go to bed so I said good night to Bailey.
So for the question as to what is more important to me, I would have to say that it is the priceless moments that are the most important. Don’t get me wrong priced items can be great to. But I would never trade my dog for any item in the world. That doesn’t mean that you have to feel the same way. That is just my decision. It is your job to decide what matters the most to you.

4 comments:

  1. The author states that value is something you decide and it really depends on what you feel matters most. Also that no one else can decide what value really means to you. The author says that priceless moments are the most important to him. Other people may disagree but he is stating his personal opion.

    I found that the moment when the author got his dog was very well described. it tells how big he is and how much he eats. Also that he is very playful. I could clearly see this large golden retriver puppy playing in a backyard with its new family while I read.

    I felt that the introduction was a very strong point in this piece. It explains the purpose of the essay and what the author feels value is. It is very clear and it really got me hooked into reading the essay. I felt it was one of the overall strong points in this essay.

    In thiss essay there seems to be two priceless things. The author states that his phone seems priceless to him and getting his dog was a priceless moment he will never forget. It would help if he was more clear about what is a priced item to him. In my mind the phone should be, but it is hard to understand. Otherwise this is a good essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin seems to value those moments in life that he considers priceless. He thinks that what has value is your own personal opinion. He feels that everyone will have a different idea of what has the most value.

    I think Kevin's excitement at getting a new dog was very well described. The way that he said he couldn't wait for the dog and how they had to drive a long way to get him reminded me of when I got my dog. I liked how he said that he couldn't wait for a birthday party to be over so that he could go home and see the dog. That showed that he really cared about his dog right from the start.

    Kevin posed some very intriguing questions to the reader in his introduction. I think that his opening was a strong point of this essay. It really gets the reader thinking about what holds the most value to them.

    I was also unsure of which was the priced or the priceless item in your essay. The way you put it, it seemed like you think both items are priceless. You should clearify which object is the priced and which one is the priceless. I enjoyed your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. What Kevin seems to be saying about what value is, is that value is something that is different for everybody. What is most valueable to one person might be very unvalueable to the next. Also he is saying that it is up to yourself to tell whether something is valueable or not. Because in the end our own opinions are the only ones that matter.
    2. I think that Kevin described when his time with his dog the best. While in the other moment he did describe why it was important to him and why it gave him many moments. I still think the other gave a little more detail. " But when we finally arrived we were greeted by an extremely cute golden retriever puppy."
    3. In general i think that Kevin did a lot of things correctly. I think he had a good inroduction. Also i think he gave good word choice and organization. I also think that he had a pretty good conclusion that summed everything up.
    4. In this essay Kevin didn't give a priced item/ object. He stated that he thought his phone was priceless. But he also stated that priceless item are better and he wouldn't trade his dog for any priced item in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that Kevin is saying that value depends on the person. In Kevin's essay, he values his phone and having his dog for different reasons. He tells the reader that they shouldn't care for his opinion. The reader's own opinion is the only one that matters.

    I think Kevin's description of getting the dog is most vivdly described. Every detail that shows value is described in this portion of the essay. Kevin says "we brought Bailey around the neighborhood to meet all of the neighbors. They all loved him; at the houses that already had dogs you could see the dogs getting jealous of how much attention my dog was getting." Kevin shows how he thinks very highly of his dog right when he gets him. His value of his dog is apparent here.

    I think this essay had the overall strength of keeping the reader's attention. The constant questioning makes me think and want to read more. His stories were also very interesting, with the detail, but it didn't drag on. It was a very interesting essay.

    One piece of advice I leave you with Kevin is to watch using tedious words. Sometimes they're needed, but you need to watch using words like "good", "cool", "fun", and others. Otherwise it was a great essay that I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete